For the subculture I am going to research and present in the Ethnographic essay, I am going to look into the subculture that is being a fan of the Dallas Mavericks basketball team. From watching their games on TV to watching the news interview some of the fans, I can see that their fans are truly unique. I chose this topic because I am interested to research further about it and see what I can turn up about it. My subculture is accessible to me and the members gather at the American Airlines Center, a place I plan to visit to watch a game and witness the fans in action over Spring Break so I can learn about them. I have been a fan of basketball for some time now but have not been one of the Mavs. I am not a member of this subculture and there are online sources I can look for if I should get stuck.
From what I can tell so far, the fans of the Dallas Mavericks have a very unique group identity. They come from all parts of life and feel as if they are friends when they go to a game to cheer on their team. All seem to have specific rituals as to why they belong to the subculture and share a common language while cheering their team on. They all share artifacts with each other, whether they be players’ jerseys or the foam “#1” signs, they help identify the group they belong to.
Tuesday, March 4, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Sounds like an interesting and accessible group (and a good excuse to go to a basketball game). If the fans in general seem overwhelming as a topic, you may focus in on people that go on a more regular basis (i.e., season tickets holders, etc.) or people that watch the games in a certain place.
Post a Comment