Disclaimer

The opinions expressed on this blog do not represent those of Texas Christian University or of its administration.

Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Humor Argument

The argument I chose is of a political cartoon involving Iran. It shows Uncle Sam in a jail cell with one arm shackled to a wall labled Iraq and another to a wall named Afghanistan. He is wearing a t-shirt that says "Iran Must Be Stopped". Meanwhile, the leader of Iran is holding a nuke and asks Uncle Sam "You and What Army?" It shows how we are currently tied to our fights going on in both Iraq and Afghanistan and can't do anything about Iran in our current situation. It uses humor to depict that the US can't extend itself to a third field of operations for battle.

http://www.politicalcartoons.com/cartoon/a91e00b8-78a1-4965-8299-b8e88d534ca6.html

8 comments:

Brooke said...

Thomas,
I really liked your humor argument and how it ties in with your paper about the US being at war and who we need to be concerned about. I think the cartoon made a very interesting point with the question "you and what army?" written with it...it has a good point tied in with the humor.

Tommy C. said...

Thomas,
I think you did a great job finding pictures that matched the situation. I was a little confused as to what the point of the comic was however. 3 or 4 missiles? if that making fun of Bush or Amehsdfsjdhbks. Sorry I dont have a clue how to spell his name.

Brooke said...

Thomas,,
...It took a little explaining for me to understand, but after, I thought it was very good. I just need to keep up with the news better :) I think you showed the humor in the cartoon well, but Im just confused with how it ties in with the upcoming election.

Michelle J. said...

1. Effective- I think it is effective for those that read the news, but like you said, not everyone has and will not understand it, including me.
2. Suggestions- I don't think I would change it just because not everyone will understand. You can't cater to everyone.
3. Response- I think it is funny once you have the needed background information.

Courtney J said...

Thomas,

effective- the looks on their faces was really funny to me and went along well with what each of them were saying

suggestions-I think the thought was good, but some might have not understood it

response- Once you explained it, it made perfect sense and was very funny

Walt H said...

I didn't see it in the news so I was a little confused but after explanation I understood. Pretty funny and effective.

Hector said...

You had a really good idea to go along with your topic. However, I don't know if the topic was clearly put out there. It was a little confusing, but if you clarify it a bit more, then it will help.

TeresaP said...

I really liked your comic. The idead and concept was very good. I had not heard much about the story but I still thought it was funny.