Disclaimer

The opinions expressed on this blog do not represent those of Texas Christian University or of its administration.

Friday, September 5, 2008

Presidential Election

Like many students at this point in time, I also do not know who I will be voting for in the upcoming election. By looking at all of the stances of the candidates, whether their stance be what they believe or simply just to get the votes of certain groups of the American people, I will be able to make an informed decision.

With that said, the main issues involved in this election that have grabbed my interest the most have to do with the situations with Iran and Russia, the economy as well as global warming/alternative fuel sources.

While the opening ceremony of the Olympics was in progress, the commentators stated that Russia had sent tanks into the neighboring country of Georgia as well as bombed parts of it. Then they eventually said they would withdraw their troops, but weren't doing so. Georgia and Russia have beein in conflict ever since the break up of the Soviet Union but this action by Russia caught a lot by surprise. Iran also sparks an interest because of their proximity to the current wars in Afghanistan and Iraq. I can't say for certain whether or not they have nuclear weapons as I have not seen concrete evidence saying they do or don't, but if they were to have some then it would be a very scary situation for everyone around the Middle East as well as the Western powers. It will be interesting to see what other situations Russia and Iran will be involved in and how the candidates will deal with them.

Another concern of mine is the current state of the economy. Some have said that we are in a recession and others are saying that we are just fine. I personally have no idea what is going on but I would like to know more about it. I'm tired of seeing the Dow Jones fall by hundreds of points a day. I am interested to see how the candidates plan to address the economic situation and also their plans for getting our economy back on track, if it needs to be.

Lastly is the combined issue of global warming and alternative fuel sources. With the polar ice melting away at record pace and a slowly depleting oil supply, something has to be done to combat what is going on. I am interested to see how much time and effort the candidates are going to put into researching new fuels and how they plan to fight gobal warming.

As I was writing this blog entry, I started to think how big of an impact this election and quite possibly the one in 2012 will have on our lives. To me, it feels like we are at a crossroad in history and the choices we make in the next 4-8 years will be very big and important ones.

2 comments:

Brooke said...

Thomas,
You definitely know much more about what is going on around the world than I do! But I definitely agree with your last statement, I believe that this election and the next are going to have huge impacts on all of these very serious issues that we are currently facing. I think that this election will be very interesting to see what the next president does, and how far he will go, to help what is going on with our economy and the issue of global warming as well.

NoEmI MtZ said...

I didn't know half as much as I know now about various of these problems that need a solution. After reading several blogs I realize there is more to just picking a person. I agree with you, the presidential candidate who has the best solution has my vote because all of these issues need to be addressed. Regardless of who wins they will affect everyone of us in the near future